Three Faces of Ngero - "Rendille 1"

CAPTION:
I've read that "you will never find real truth in a photograph" and to a degree I believe this is accurate.

As a pro photographer I can utilize so many effective skills to support my point of view which may not
have a thing to do with the truth of the moment, the project or the integrity of my subject. I can direct a
subject to smile and be happy when there's nothing to be smiling about or I can direct them to appear sombre
poor of spirit or even desperately in need...all to support again, my own way of seeing them or the situation
and this at times can be about as far away from the actual truth that you can get.

Ngero, a Rendille woman lives in Kenya's rougher than not, great Chalbi desert region where clean water,
wood for fuel and food supplies may run short and it's been this way for the past 6 years of a major drought.
Knowing I have the image making power to show people like Ngero in moments of strife...my project is about
empowering women and so I chose to present her as she truly is...a proud, intelligent, warm hearted and well
respected Muslim woman who is a leader in her village. While she doesn't enjoy an abundance of the commodities
I mentioned above, she also isn't sick or poor of spirit. So it's possible to address the needs of a project I believe
without taking advantage of both the people living in tough conditions or the people who are depending on what
they're seeing from the images I create...that the image shows part of the truth so they can decide...how to get
involved or how to help.

Development images tend to be either a "crying baby in real need" or a "young girl in a school uniform with a
big smile"...need and success...and while there will always be a need to expose harrowing conditions so that
honest people and organizations can come alongside the community and help...I believe whenever possible I will
concentrate on creating fresh, positive images about a people whenever I can and if I do my work well, you will be
able to see for yourself what is right...and what is wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment